Friday, November 26, 2010

My Story - What, Why, When & How

Welcome to my Blog!

Holy guacamole, where on earth do I start this thing!? First and foremost, Thank You for taking the time to read about me, my family and this journey. I'm doing this mainly for myself and my IPs (Intended Parents) but its always fun to have the encouragement of friends and followers along the way! I imagine most of you who know me but are unaware I was beginning this process have questions, concerns, comments, etc. So I think a quick intro and then skipping right to the point is probably the best way to get started. : )

 Most of you already know my name, (Hi, I'm Kristen!) and for those of you who don't know, I'm 28, happily married for almost 8 years to my wonderful hubby James (31) and we have two awesome little boys, Dakota (7) and Colton (1). We're an active duty Air Force family who live, work and play in eastern Illinois near St Louis, MO.

What this is about...

I am in the process of becoming a GS or "Gestational Surrogate". The medical definition of a gestational surrogate is: "a woman who helps a couple to have a child by carrying to term an embryo conceived by the couple and transferred to her uterus."

*Just for clarification, a TS or "Traditional Surrogate" is a woman who is inseminated with the intended father's sperm and then carries the baby to term. <----This is not something I could do because I don't feel emotionally capable of giving up a biological child.*

Why I'm doing this...

I could probably fill a book with all the thoughts, considerations and musings I've had over the years about becoming a surrogate. In short, surrogacy is a new experience to me that stemmed from an old ambition.
If I were to write a bucket list, helping another couple or family achieve the dream of having a baby and/or siblings for their children would be very high on the list.

I can't say for sure where or when the idea to become a surrogate first came to mind. I have extended family that were unable to have children of their own and remember wishing I could help in some way. At the time I was too young to do anything but the desire to help them stuck with me. In addition to that, I very vaguely remember watching a Lifetime movie about a surrogate named Patty Nowakowski. It was based on her true story as a TS (traditional surrogate) who gave birth to boy/girl twins. While I knew I couldn't be a TS like Patty, I loved the idea of surrogacy and from time to time would think about how much I wanted to become a surrogate myself someday.

Somewhere along the way I read or heard about gestational surrogacy and my desire to become a surrogate seemed more and more like a real possibility. I want to say this was shortly before our first son was born. Around that time, I also learned that in order to be a surrogate, I would have to have at least one child of my own. The idea was pushed to the back burner but remained a strong desire for the future. When Dakota was about 8 months old, I finally worked up the courage to call an agency. I talked to a wonderful lady who encouraged me to take my time and contact her again when I was sure I was ready. The years went by and from time to time, the thought would pop in my head. It was just never the right time.

Its funny how surrogacy would materialize from time to time. A program on TV, the GS at my OB's office pregnant with twins, my friends mentioning it over coffee. It was never far from my mind. When I was about 6 or 7 months pregnant with Colton I called another agency here in Illinois. Knowing I couldn't commit to anything for at least another year, I wanted to hear my options, get updates on the science behind it, etc. Again, the lady I spoke to was nice and encouraged me to call when I was done breastfeeding. Again, the idea was pushed to the back burner only to resurface later on.

Finally, about a month ago (give or take), I was reminded of my long-time wish to be a surrogate and finally, the timing was P.E.R.F.E.C.T. With James in school full time (read: non-deployable) for the next 18-24 months, Colton weaned and us living in a surro friendly state, my ambition is finally becoming reality and I am SO EXCITED!! Which brings me to...

When is this happening...

Well, to be honest, I have no idea when I'll be pregnant. My hope is soon and I'm doing everything I can to move this process along. Like anything fun, exciting and swimming with legalities, it can be more of a waiting game than anything else. BUT, I've recently signed with an agency in Texas (see my links) and very recently, (as in last Tuesday) spoken with a wonderful lady in Oklahoma who I have a really good feeling will be my IM (intended mother)!! I'm hopeful, anxious, excited, nervous, etc to see where things go. My ultimate goal is to start this journey with a wonderful family who will gradually become part of our family. I've thought about it over and over and even came up with our own corny little motto:

"To the delivery room and beyond!"
 Picture this lady with blond hair and a preggo belly under the S and you get the idea...

How this will happen...

  I think most of you can guess the technicalities of how this will happen but a few things I haven't mentioned but are equally important:

-This will ONLY happen with the love, encouragement, emotional (and I imagine sometimes physical) support of my husband and best friend
-This will ONLY happen with the love, support and encouragement of my children, family and friends.
-This will ONLY happen with the love, support and encouragement of my IPs
-This will ONLY happen with the support, encouragement and advice from my agent, Gayle and other surrogates who have been there done that

So far, I've received nothing but positive and uplifting responses which has been a HUGE motivator and indescribably encouraging. Up until now, I've only shared this with a few people because I wasn't sure the what/why/when and how would work out. Now that I know this is going to happen, I'm ready to share my news and begin journalling the adventure!!

Buckle up, get out your kleenex, hide your pee sticks and lets see where the road to gestational surrogacy leads us. What d'ya say!?

7 comments:

  1. I'm so excited for you! I offered to this for someone in my family a while ago. While it never came to fruition, to be able to give the gift of life to parents who yearn for it but aren't able to have it on their own is a wonderful, generous thing.

    Much love and prayers. I can't wait to walk this journey with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Susie! I have been overwhelmed with love and support and can't wait to share it with you all! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you decided to start a blog. You'll find so much community here and it's fun to reflect back on where you've been.

    I will be adding you to my own blogroll and checking in to see how you are doing!

    Your reasons for doing this are heartfelt and it's fabulous that your husband it 100% supportive of your desire to help others! I hope that your journey is everything that you've dreamed and more!

    Hugs,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so excited to follow along with you. Get ready for the roller coaster...it's a wild ride! I'm still on it, but from what I hear it's one of those rides that you want to go on again and again. I wish you all the best as you embark on this journey.
    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  5. Linda - Thanks so much for your encouragement and support, you're a gem! I can't wait to see your journey unfold. ((Hugs!))

    Heidi - I'm following you as well and can't wait to read all about your adventures! Thanks so much for stopping by! : )

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just love reading other surro-moms blogs online. Looking forward to following along with your journey :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kristen, I'm so excited for you. The beautiful blessing that you will be providing to a couple is beyond words. My eyes fill with tears for the joy you will bring to them one day, whoever they may be.

    Love and many blessings,

    Lorrie (((HUGS)))

    ReplyDelete

"To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded." - Ralph Waldo Emerson